Performance Services was selected by Mokena School District 159 to implement a comprehensive HVAC renovation at Mokena Elementary School and energy upgrades at Mokena Jr. High School. The project improved not only the energy efficiency of the schools but also the learning environment of the classrooms.
Mokena Elementary had a complex mix of electric and gas heating, which proved to be challenging to renovate since it lacked uniformity. Cooling was provided by packaged classroom units that were inefficient and did not contribute to an optimal learning environment for students and staff. A new central plant was installed with high-efficiency boilers and chillers to heat and cool the whole building. New Vertical Classroom Unit Vents were installed in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-grade wings. A new comprehensive vendor-independent control system was installed at Mokena Jr. High School and Elementary, which will help maintenance troubleshoot issues.
Mokena Elementary School
- New dual temp central plant
- New high efficiency 3.5 MMBtu condensing boilers
- 330-ton high-efficiency chiller
- Installed 31 new vertical classroom unit vents
- New fan-powered relief system with new unit vents
- Replaced the existing ceiling grid
- Upgraded the vendor-independent controls system
- Optimal learning environment guarantee in classrooms with new Unit Vents
Mokena Jr. High School
- Replaced pneumatic controls with Tridium vendor-neutral protocol controls
- Installed Air handling unit upgrades to east and west gym AHUs
- Added cooling to the east and west gyms