In early 2020, Grayslake Area Public Library District partnered with Performance Services to complete upgrades at the Grayslake Area Public Library. The 1996-constructed building received HVAC, roof work, and solar array installation work. The budget-neutral project was paid for through the district’s capital improvements and operations budget.
The project included 282 Solar PV panels installed on the library’s roof, providing at least 20 percent of its electrical needs. Additionally, 14 new high-efficiency rooftop units, 23 variable air volume boxes, and nine exhaust fans were replaced to help provide a consistent and comfortable indoor environment. The library also received a new roof with an expected 25-year life span. The project is expected to generate $17,475 annually in guaranteed energy savings over the next 15 years.
- Install 14 new high‐efficiency rooftop units on new curb adapters.
- Install 23 variable air volume boxes and associated controls.
- Replace nine existing exhaust fans.
- Install a new DDC building automation system.
- Provide new insulation to the existing insulation system to meet code requirements.
- Provide new EPDM single‐ply roof system with associated membrane (HVAC & General) flashing.
- Cap, remove, and reinstall gas lines for roofing work as required.
- Install a new 118.8 kWdc / 100.0 kWac roof‐mounted solar photovoltaic (PV) array.
- Install 282 solar panels, racking system, inverters (qty 2), and electrical conduit for a complete system.
- Install disconnect on the exterior of the building.
- Install a revenue‐grade meter and data acquisition system to track and monitor system performance.