In 2018, Natalia ISD took a significant step forward to achieve energy savings across the district. Partnering with Performance Services, the district entered a 20-year energy savings performance contract to make needed improvements to the learning environment. Project improvements include LED lighting upgrades, the sealing of building envelopes, and security upgrades – including access control and a secure main entrance at the High School. The district also replaced 48 HVAC units to provide significant energy savings and a comfortable learning environment for students. The project was completed in September 2019.
In addition, Natalia ISD is one of only a few school districts in the area to implement solar. The district installed a 197.1 kilowatt (kWdc) ground-mounted solar array, consisting of 540 panels. It is expected to generate 295,338 kWh per year, the equivalent of the electricity use of 36 homes. The solar PV system will also provide a hands-on STEM learning opportunity for students. A classroom grant is being provided by Performance Services to enable the new solar array to be used as a learning laboratory for students. Partnering with the National Energy Education Development (NEED) project, the district will receive teacher training, K12 curriculum, and classroom solar kits. The system was energized in July 2019.
- 197.1 kW-DC ground-mount solar array, consisting of 540 panels with an annual generation of 295,338 kWh
- Replacement of 48 HVAC units
- LED lighting high-efficiency upgrades throughout the district
- Weatherization and sealing of building envelopes for energy efficiency
- Security upgrades, including an access-control and secure main entrance at the High School