In early 2023, the City of Odessa recognized it needed to address its aging water system. At the time, the City faced significant water loss due to water meter inaccuracy (about 10%) and system leaks, resulting in a loss of about $3 million per year. However, after a major water outage in Summer 2022, Odessa finally decided to pursue a solution. To solve their challenges, Odessa partnered with Performance Services to complete an energy savings performance contract to upgrade water infrastructure and reduce water loss. The Odessa City Council approved the resulting $42 million project in July 2023. The project’s primary focus includes installing new, solid-state smart water meters and connecting to an Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI). The new meters and AMI system will allow the City to remotely monitor and read water consumption more accurately. It will also provide a more efficient methodology for scheduling system maintenance and addressing customer service inquiries. The new system will allow Odessa to provide a proactive approach to water distribution and leak detection and a way to validate water conservation efforts.
In addition to the smart water meters, the project includes interior and exterior LED lighting retrofits throughout city facilities. The project also includes adding a 2 MGD ground storage tank and improvements to the Yukon Pump Station to create additional water capacity if a major leak occurs. The project began in Fall 2023 and will be completed by December 2025, with the water meters being addressed first.
- Removal of aged water meters
- Installation of 43,928 Master Meter solid-state water meters
- Connection to Master Meter’s Harmony Advanced Metering Infrastructure software for remote meter monitoring
- Deployment of a customer portal for residents to monitor their water usage
- Implementation of pressure monitoring and leak detection capabilities
- Retrofitting LED lighting throughout city facilities
- Addition of 2 MGD ground storage tank
- Perform improvements to the Yukon Pump Station