Energy Savings Project with Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) System
Ph I-II Contracts
The City of Dayton partnered with Performance Services to implement an energy savings contract to modernize the City’s water infrastructure and provide much-needed improvements to City buildings. The project includes the replacement of all 2,800 existing water meters with new, “smart” water meters that will be connected to a secure Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) Network. This 21st Century technology will provide the City and residents with more visibility into their water usage as the system will allow The City and residents to remotely monitor water usage in real-time. Utilizing this technology will provide quick detection and elimination of leaks, allowing the City to improve its performance and service.
Phase I of the project includes the installation of sports LED lighting at all seven fields at Daniel Park, LED lighting in four City buildings, upgraded HVAC across the City’s buildings, and building automation upgrades. Phase II features critical infrastructure improvements at the wastewater treatment plant.
Project Highlights - Phase I
- Installation of advanced metering infrastructure (2,800 meters)
- Smart City Software Platform
- Online portal for customers to view and track water consumption data in real-time
- LED sports lighting and baseball dugouts on all seven fields at Daniel Park
- LED lighting at four City buildings
- Upgraded HVAC across City buildings
- Security measures in Community Center
- Building automation upgrades
Project Highlights - Phase II
- Wastewater treatment plant infrastructure equipment replacement and upgrades, including blower, RAS pump, valve replacement, lift station access cover, roll off boxes, dry well drain boring, and park grinder pump station
- Supervisory auto control system with 19 lift stations and 2 wells
- Complete system data analytics and dashboard
- Alfal-Laval belt press infrastructure improvements
- Safety, emergency, and redundancy measures
- Engineering for future lift stations and wastewater plant grit removal
The Phase I water meter project utilizes Badger Meter, a leading marketer and manufacturer of products using flow measurement and control technologies. Performance Services also worked with Badger Beacon AMA, a software suite with proven ORION® AMR/AMI water meter reading technology to provide utility management with greater visibility and control. Together the meters and advanced metering infrastructure enable the City to reduce non-revenue water loss and to monitor water usage with pinpoint accuracy.
City of Dayton residents have access to the EyeOnWater® customer portal by Badger Beacon. This portal, available in the Apple App Store or Google Play, will provide customers with direct access to their water consumption data, allowing them to easily view, understand, and manage their water usage.
Replacing mechanical water meters with automated, digital meters is vital for bringing communities into the 21st century and becoming Smart Cities, at least in terms of critical water management.