Progressive Design-Build New Construction Project
Including Mental Health
36,000 Sq Ft
Tipton County was in need of a new facility to replace a 120-year-old building with a limited 27-bed capacity. After previous site and design discussions in 2016, the County decided to utilize a progressive design-build approach allowed by Indiana procurement rules. Progressive design-build features high owner engagement throughout the design process to help achieve design objectives while keeping costs aligned with the goals of the project and within the budget.
The design of the new Tipton County Sheriff's Office and Correction Center includes a number of unique features and represents the latest in efficient correctional operation and safety and security, including a single, elevated control room with 360-degree visibility. The new facility will be a stacked, two-level operational concept, divided into four areas: inmate housing, support intake and release, public area, and the sheriff's office. The control room will provide a high degree of visibility with direct observation of the intake area. The structure will also allow a great deal of flexibility in the operation and future modification/expansion of the jail.
Performance Services was awarded the project following a rigorous selection process. Bill Shepler, president of PMSI.usa served as the owner project manager. Joe Mrak, Principal Architect for Securitecture, served as the architect and lead designer for the project.
Unique Design Characteristics
- Design respectful of local architectural character providing an attractive community gateway
- 84-bed general population facility
- Mental health unit specifically designed for mental health and first in Indiana
- 1st jail in Indiana to have intake observable from central control
- Indoor and outdoor recreation under the roof
- A master plan developed for future housing expansion of the jail
- Critical infrastructure capacity sized for future expansion (kitchen, laundry, intake, and inmate property room)
- A master plan developed to accommodate future expansion of county facilities
- Enhanced training opportunities
business development manager