Faced with aging elementary schools, Mooresville Graded School District, located in Mooresville, North Carolina, chose to utilize the design-build delivery method to renovate their two elementary school buildings. The District selected this integrated design and delivery approach because it optimizes both building performance and costs by allowing team members working in various disciplines to take advantage of efficiencies working together. The project brings together a cohesive team of multiple disciplines to safeguard against disconnects between the design and construction process, ensuring a more high-quality, cost-effective, and timely project.
In Summer of 2020, the District selected Performance Services to serve as the design-builder, in partnership with McMillan Pazdan Smith Architecture and G.L. Wilson Building Company, to implement the design-build renovation/addition project. The renovation project improved the learning environment at Park View Elementary and South Elementary School with the addition of a gymnatorium, enhanced kitchen, cafeteria, and dining space, and upgrades to the HVAC systems to improve indoor air quality.
- Boiler and chiller (heating and cooling) plant replacement
- Classroom-level equipment replacement with efficient solutions to improve the optimal learning environment. This includes temperature, humidity, fresh outdoor air, and sound levels.
- Office air handling unit (AHU) replacement with variable air volume (VAV) and proper zoning for improved comfort and energy efficiency.
- Replacement of common-use space AHUs with efficient VAV
- Gym additions that can also serve as auditoriums, with wood floors, dual court capacity, stage, ganged restrooms, a family restroom, and dedicated before/after school areas for each school
- Enhanced kitchen, cafeteria, and dining space at both elementary schools
- Renovations and updates to the existing HVAC and controls systems at both schools
- Restructuring parking and site traffic at South Elementary
- Restructuring the playgrounds at Park View Elementary